Good afternoon from Grade 1
To begin, I would like to thank all the parents who shared their child’s learning during the Student Led Conferences. Ms. Lydia and I were so proud of the confidence they expressed when showing their work.
Some photos from the Student Led Conferences:
In the news:
Grade 1 students will be performing during the Fabulous Friday to be held May 25th. Invitations will be sent out a week prior to the date.
For the past two years, I have invited the grade one students to my home for a graduation breakfast. This year a few of the students and Ms. Lydia will be fasting so I would like to have the breakfast before the start of Ramadan. The plan is to have students over on Monday, May 14th. We will be leaving school around 8:15 and be back for around 10:00. Pancakes, fruit, yogurt, toast, eggs and juice are on the menu:)
This week is the beginning of our final unit. I cannot believe how fast time has flown. I am a bit sad as I know that soon the students will be moving on to grade 2. This has been an amazing year of growth for the students, Ms. Lydia and myself.
Our new unit is Sharing The Planet
Central Idea: Living things impact and are dependent upon their ecosystems
Lines of Inquiry:
- Components of ecosystems
- Interaction and dependence within ecosystems (food chains)
- How ecosystems are changing
- Our responsibility to conserve ecosystems
Learner Profile: Caring, Communicator, Thinker
PYP Attitudes: Empathy, Respect
Skills: Research, Thinking and Communication skills
Writing to Describe
The primary purpose of descriptive writing is to describe a person, place or thing in such a way that a picture is formed in the reader’s mind. Capturing an event through descriptive writing involves paying close attention to the details by using all of your five senses. Teaching students to write more descriptively will improve their writing by making it more interesting and engaging to read.
- To help students’ writing be more interesting and full of detail
- To encourage students to use new vocabulary words
- To help students clarify their understanding of new subject matter material
- To introduce the concept of fractions in real-world situations
- To identify and create halves and quarters
- To identify and create thirds and fifths
- To identify and create eighths
- To solve simple word problems involving fractions
Strand: Multiplication and Division:
- The operations of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division are related to each other and are used to process information to solve problems
- model multiplication and division of whole numbers
During our literacy period, we will continue with word studies and guided reading